Chief Executive Officer
Dr. Candice Carter-Oliver, chief executive officer, took the lead for Confluence Academies on January 1, 2017. The board of directors chose Carter-Oliver as the first permanent CEO to lead the largest public charter school network in the city of St. Louis.
- All aspects of Confluence Academies, including hiring and evaluating leadership staff at each school and at the administrative office.
- Implementation of Confluence’s strategic plan, which focuses on Teacher Recruitment and Retention, Addressing and Stabilizing Enrollment, Assessing and Evalutating Student Success, and Fund Development.
- Reports directly to the Board; all other staff will report to the CEO.
- Former assistant superintendent of academics and support services for Normandy Schools Collaborative
- Career in public education includes being a classroom teacher, a learning coach and an elementary principal in local districts such as Normandy, Riverview Gardens and Saint Louis Public Schools
- In Normandy, served in leadership roles as chief academic officer, assistant superintendent of schools and assistant superintendent of support services
- Adjunct assistant professor at University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Attended professional development at Harvard University Graduate School of Education
- Attending professional development at Washington University Olin Business School
- Member of FOCUS St. Louis 2023-2024 Leadership St. Louis class
- Master’s degree, educational specialist and doctoral degrees from UMSL
- Bachelor of Science from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
- Graduate, National Superintendents Academy
- Harvard Graduate School of Education professional development expertise in leadership, systems thinking and strategic management
- Washington University advanced management certification
Brief Summary of Confluence Academies
Opened in 2003, Confluence has grown from one campus with 245 students in the Old North St. Louis neighborhood to an annual enrollment of approximately 2,500 students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
Schools include Confluence Academy-Old North, Confluence Academy-South City, Aspire Academy (previously known as Confluence Academy-Walnut Park), Confluence Preparatory Academy, and Grand Center Arts Academy.
Confluence schools are sponsored by Saint Louis Public Schools.
Confluence Academies is governed by one board of directors.